Saturday 14 September 2019

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hunter F.6 - Central Fighter Establishment RAF


This kit was built for the 2020 NSW Scale Model Show's "Airfix Cup".  Although as the Hunter is one of the few early jets that I actually like I was really excited to see Airfix one in 48 scale.

The aircraft I've modelled is one from the RAF's Central Fighter Establishment detached to Sharjah in the UAE in 1963

The Kit

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hunter F.6 Kit No. A09185





Aftermarket

None

The Pilot

Unfortunately the kit doesn't give you a pilot so this one was taken from a Hasegawa Hornet kit. Yeah his flying clothing and equipment is not accurate but only the safety equipment nerds will know.

Decals

Xtradecals 48189 for the underwing codes, tail letter and serials.
Kit decals for the rest

The kit decal sheet is excellent. even the smallest stencils are readable (albeit under magnification) and performed perfectly.

Paint

Dark Green  - Mr Color #330
Dark Sea Grey - Mr Color #331 lightened with white
Yellow - Mr Hobby # 413 RLM 04 Yellow
Silver - Tamiya AS-12
White - Tamiya XF 2 with a drop of grey
Vallejo Acrylics for details 

Clear Coats

Gloss - Gaianote Clear
Flat - Gaia Notes Flat 

Weathering

Shades of the base colours were used for post shading prior to decaling. These were applied  through various airbrush stencils

Oil paints for the wash

Coloured pencils for streaks 

The Base

The base is inspired by the coastal kits blur bases. The original image is of a random bit Australian landscape taken during my last flight in the one of helicopters I worked on. It was specifically taken for "blurring". I then used the motion blur tool in Corel Paintshop Pro multiple times to blur the image until I was happy with the result. I then got it printed on card at the local printer. This was then glued to core flute board.

Build Thread

Conclusion 

This kit is a pretty simple build and it fits really well.  While it lacks a bit of detail compared to many other modern kits it's simplicity makes for a fun fast build, especially if you do it in flight. I'd estimate that I spent about 20 hours to finish it. I probably spent more time on the base.

If I did it on the ground I'd probably add a PE set for the flaps, wheels and a seat but to be honest it looks better in flight so I reckon any subsequent ones I build will also be flying. 

After the Revel Eagle, Eduard's Tempest and the Special Hobby Firefly I really enjoyed building something that just goes together without issues. I will definitely build future releases.. roll on the export versions.  

The Photos






















To see what I'm up to on a regular basis, check out 

No comments :

Post a Comment