Thursday 27 December 2012

1/48 Stug Build - Update 3


I've returned to my Stug build build after a couple of months away. This is being built to learn/practice some of the armour weathering techniques I've read about as I want to try them on my aircraft builds. As such I'm not being particularly anal about accuracy.

Here she was at the end of the last update

I wanted to give the "hairspray technique" again. This I used AK's Chipping fluid so I applied it with my airbrush. It didn't seem to cover as well as hairspray, pooling in some areas and forming beads on others... Not giving this much thought a the time I left it for 10 mins then pressed on and sprayed Tamiya Flat white over the model.






After leaving it for 15 mins in the shed (which was about 33 degrees C) I proceeded to try and remove the white wash. This wasn't as successful as I hoped and the painted didn't come off as easily as last time.

I'm not sure if this was due to:
1. the AK chipping fluid not adhering to the model,
2. or that I left it to long before applying the white paint or starting the  chipping (especially considering the heat in the garage)
3. or that the Tamiya white had to much lacquer thinners in it.
4. or a combination of the above

Anyway it took a fair bit of scrubbing to get a worn look. I then used the sponge technique and some enamel white to re-apply some whitewash to areas I thought I'd been overdone.

After it was done I applied a flat coat and a pale grey filter. I then used the Tamiya black enamel wash as a pin wash. I applied a few other filters , mainly just to see what would happen.










Then I painted the tracks and attached the hull to the upper, prior to this I added some mud using the Tamiya texture paint to the underside of the guards. I figure some mud would stick there




I also had a lot of fun painting the stowage and wood using some of the techniques in the AK interactive FAQ2 book. I think I'm going to whitewash the timber board though



I've still got the streaking etc to try but I'm open to suggestions on what else I can try









No comments :

Post a Comment