Monday 10 June 2013

1/48 Hasegawa F-14B Tomcat - Part III

Been a while since I updated this here. I'm a bit further along than this post shows but here we go.

Although I put lead in the nose, I figured, just to be safe I'd stick some lead in here. Especially as I'm going to use resin exhausts



And here's the pit fitted to the cockpit. I did spend a fair bit of time sanding the tub to get the fit as good as I can. The resin rails do actually sit below the cockpit sills. The tricky bit, which I didn't achieve is to get the rear deck flush with the sills. The square of plastic on the nose is to ensure the nose doesn't split, it's probably not required but I thought I'd add it just in case.



The large gap at the end of the tub seems typical of the Aires Cockpit/Hasegawa F-14 combo. I filled it with plastic card. A bit of card was used on the right as well



Rather than try and clean up the seam behind the cockpit with filler I removed any rough bumps and burrs and covered with with a piece of 10 thou card



Bought the mesh at the NSW show this year. Decided to use it to "mesh up" the vents on the underside. I just used scissors to trim to size and stick it on top of the existing plastic. I then used normal Plastic cement to stick it in (if you use enough the plastic goes sticky enough to hold the mesh)



I'm not a fan of butt joints - anywhere. I added some thin card to the rear of the engine tunnels for the intakes to mate to. I'm using intake blanks so this won't be seen



Added the front of the intakes, including the ramps, just to see how they fit. Didn't bother with the other side.



The intakes were added, a few clamps and glue was all that was needed. Without the tunnels these fit pretty well





Thought I'd add a little a bit of detail inside the vents using some plastic rod, card and solder. This only took about 15 mins and I only added a bit of red to the pipe going to the actuator.



All for this, left side



Right side.


No comments :

Post a Comment