Sunday 27 October 2013

1/48 Hasegawa F-14B Tomcat - Part IX

If you follow my facebook page The Ham Fisted Modeller you'll know of I'm way ahead of what follows but I think I'll try and finish this build off here as well.

Firstly a little bit on the gloss coats.

I've been using Tamiya X22 Clear thinned with Mr Color thinners on my last few builds. I'd really mastered the use of that combo, and I could consistently get a beautiful smooth gloss finish. The only issue I had with it is that occasionally it would be a little susceptible to finger prints. That was always simple to fix with a light sand with micromesh.

For some reason,even though I seem to have a good solution, I always want to try something new, and I've never been one to try things on an old kit first.

I'd read about Gaianotes on another modellers facebook page so thought I'd try it.

It's dries fast, shiny and hard, but you really need to thin it (over 50% thinner). I'm not convinced I'll stick with it as I'm worried the thinner is quite hot and some decals may not like it. Although most on this build weren't bothered by it. Plus you have to get it imported, which generally means sea freight

All that said I've got 2 bottles and 500ml of thinner to use first.

Anyway, back to the model , Here it is prior to another gloss coat



Gloss Coated again with Gaianotes







I fixed the Arrestor Hook and added some Chaff and Flares to the CDS



I applied a light grey wash to the black parts


 I received some replacement decals from a member here (thanks Bill) But unfortunately these, like my original set, are way out of the registration. I did notice it on my original set but figured I'd just got a bad run. But as you can see below this one is pretty bad, perhaps this is why I had troubles. The other side is not as bad, but still not really what I've come to expect from Fightertown.

I tried to trim this one up to fix it, but I didn't look that good. so I decided to wait for the Jasime Models sets to come and see what they are like


Whilst waiting for the replacement decals there was time to do the weapons

Sidewinder is from the Tamiya F-16, the Snurf (yellow cap) is from Dr Pepper. Decals are from the Tamiya kit as well. The Lightning pod is from the Wolfpack set as is the LAU


 The GBU-12 is from the Tamiya kit. The Weapons from the Tamiya F-16 are the best available in 1/48 IMHO. Wish they'd do a  weapons set

I did break the seeker heads and droop them slightly, Plus using some stippled Mr Surfacer to add the USN Ablative costing. The coating on the more modern bombs doesn't seem to be as rough as the earlier 1990's ones.


These the Royale Resin Wheels. Always my first choice for Jet wheels


These are kit legs, I was going to to use the SAC white metal ones but the detail on them was rubbish, plus I broke the nose gear. Hopefully they'll hold the kit without bowing.

I added some hydraulic lines and electrical looms. Not accurate but they add some interest to the legs


The silver parts of the oleo's are Chrome self adhesive bare metal silver


Here are the assemblies. The wheels aren't glued in as yet. I'll wait until the legs are in the aircraft before gluing .




No comments :

Post a Comment