Tuesday 27 June 2017

1/72 S & M Hawker Siddeley Andover C.1 42 Sqn RNZAF


The Andover was the first aircraft I worked on when I joined the RNZAF and it also flew me to recruit training all those years ago.  I've always liked the look of the aircraft as well so I treated myself to the resin S & M Andover when it came out.

The build was a real struggle from beginning to end (check out the links below if you're interested) and to be honest I'll never build another in this scale (perhaps in 1/144). But in the end I'm happy with how it turned out.

The aircraft is depicted as NZ7623 from No 42 Sqn RNZAF.  I finished this in October 2015.

The Kit

  • 1/72 S & M Andover  - All resin with white metal undercarriage and props

Decals 

  • Old Models - really thick, close to sticker-like but they worked OK
  • Ventura  - a replacement roundel

Paint

  • Mr Color and Mr Hobby for the main camouflage colours
  • Tamiya for the black
  • Gloss: Mr Hobby
  • Flat Coat: Dullcoate

Weathering

  • Not much, just a bit of oil paint for the 

Build Threads






























1 comment :

  1. Excellent rendition of the very business like Andover. There's one in the RNZAF museum near here, and from memory one also gave me a ride from Wellington to Woodbourne for recruit course. You've hidden the problems with the build well. Looks great. Was a very versatile aircraft ideal for Pacific Island operations.

    ReplyDelete