Friday 16 February 2018

1/48 Airfix P-51D Mustang Diablo


The new Airfix P-51D is the kit for the 2018 NSW Scale Model Shows "Airfix Cup".  So although the Mustang isn't really my thing I figured I'd build one regardless, just to take part.

I've built 2 RNZAF P-51's in the past so I wasn't in the mood for another one (plus they're pretty boring) so I figured I'd do a  colourful US one straight from the box but different decals.

I eventually decided on P-51D "Diablo" flown by Lt Glen W Wensch from the 486th Fighter Sqn  352nd Fighter Group.

The Kit

  • 1/48 Airfix P-51D Mustang  (Kit No. A05131)

    My initial impressions when looking at this kit in the box was that it looked overly complicated for a 1/48 kit and I was a little worried that those pieces of the internal assembly, which were also part of the external fuselage would cause issues

    But after actually building it the kit is actually pretty simple to put together.  I estimate I only spent about 6-8 hours assembling the kit

    I found everything fit as designed and those internal assembly/fuselage pieces I was worried about worked well ensuring  the internal assembly sits correctly in the fuselage. Even the fit issues I've found are very minor in nature and are probably due to me not cleaning up the sprue attachment points  as well as I should. I also like the plastic Airfix have used, it scribes nicely in the few areas I needed to restore some panel lines.

    The cockpit is great for a 1/48 kit out of the box and the engraving on the kit is excellent.







    Where possible , having a big clear plastic piece for the forward windscreen that also forms part of the fuselage is the way every windscreen part should be (The Tamiya's F-14 does  this as well).

    The only areas that I think could be improved are the treaded wheels, tanks and exhausts.

    This kit is definitely better than and more fun to build than the Tamiya kit.

    Spend the time doing the basics, especially cleaning up the sprue attachment points and you’ll be rewarded with a trouble free build.

Aftermarket

  • Eduard wheels.

    These are really nice but IMHO the designers didn't give proper thought to integrating them with the kit legs. They suggest a butt joint. I ended up drilling out the hub to accept the Airfix leg.

Decals

  • Kit Decals for everything but the art, codes and serials
  • Kits World KW 48174

    I bought this sheet as I wanted to do the other aircraft on the sheet, a Pacific based Aircraft Enchantress. But when it arrived I saw the nose art for Diablo and changed my mind.

    Both the Airfix and Kits World decals went down without any issues. However I did discover that the Kits World ones don't like really hot water.

Paint

  • Tamiya AS 12 as the base for the silver.
  • Alclad for shades
  • Mr Color Lacquers for the Olive drab
  • Tamiya Flat blue with some white for the blue
  • Tamiya NATO Black
  • Gunze RLM Yellow
  • Vallejo Acrylics for details
  • Mr Color for the Gloss and flat coats

Build Threads

The Base


  • The surround is made from cheap skirting from Bunnings. 
  • The grass is just a mat. I've been experimenting with static grass but IMHO for 1/48 scale the mat is just as good if you want a field with short grass.

The Photos






















1 comment :