Tuesday 24 April 2018

1/48 Sikorsky S-70B2 Seahawk - 816 Sqn Royal Australian Navy


Well it's finally done after 12 years, albeit with a 10 year break in the middle.

This is far from my best work. Much of that is down to me, when you look at the close ups you'll see a lot of areas that really could have been done better. Some of that was because I started this so long ago and some was due to me deciding that it was more important to finish this project, rather than try and get it perfect. But, in my defence I'm also going to lay a section of blame on the kit and the conversion. 

The base kit has a number of accuracy and fit issues and the conversion is a little rough as well. To be fair, the conversion is old (early 2000's) and from a cottage manufacturer so I can forgive a lot of it's issues.  

Rather than repeat that information here you can check out the full build log here .

I've depicted an aircraft in the pre Sea 1405 configuration as this was how they were when I worked on them. 


The Kit

  • 1/48 Italeri SH-60B Seahawk (Kit No, 2620)
  • 1/48 Hawkeye Models Sikorsky S-70B/2 Seahawk conversion

Aftermarket

  • Eduard SH-60 PE set
  • Eduard Vinyl Remove Before Flight Tags 
  • Aerobonus Chocks

Decals/Markings

  • 1/48 Ronin Decals RAN 816 Sqn 60th Anniversary Tiger tail decals (SSM 076)
  • Home made decals for the tail codes
  • Home made mask for the side numbers and side NAVY markings

Paint

  • Lightened mixes of Mr Color Lacquers 307 (Compass Grey) and 337 (Top Grey)
  • Mr Color Lacquer 338 (bottom grey)
  • Various Mr Color, Mr Hobby and Tamiya Acrylics 
  • Tamiya X22 for gloss
  • Dullcoate for the flat (I know the real aircraft is semi gloss but IMHO a flat finish looks more accurate in this scale).

The Base

  • The surround is made from cheap skirting from Bunnings
  • The Tarmac is wet and dry emery paper glued to a base and painted.

The Photos




































1 comment :