Sunday 19 August 2012

1/48 Stug Build - Update 2


Although the Spitifre is the no 1 priority I have also been plodding along on the Stug.

I'm not armour modeller so I'm not sure if if the process I'm following is what is done usually, but that is half the fun.

I pre shaded some of the areas with flat black. The intent is a winter white wash so I don't know how much of this will remain after all the paint is on.




I then painted the model with the Tamiya XF60 which looked way to yellow to me. I don't know how yellow German armour was but it just looked silly to me so I toned it down by spraying Gunze 79 Sand Yellow over many of flat areas.

 TO make things a little more complicated I thought I'd try a 3 tome camouflage scheme, again I have no idea if this accurate but it seems that the operating units just did whatever they felt like to camouflage their vehicles.

I also wanted to weather this layer before I applied the white wash so I figured that I may as well give this hairspray technique a go. I applied a layer of AK interactive Worn Effects and let that dry. Then I used Tamiya Red brown (XF64) and Olive Green (XF58) to apply a really bad camouflage pattern.

I really didn't do as good a job as I'd hoped with the lines, as they are way to wide. But as I could remove most of what I didn't like I wasn't that bothered.

Once I clean the airbrush I used water to dampen the surfaces and a short brush to stipple the surface, I also used a couple of other brushes and a toothpick to do some scratches.

I can see why this technique has taken off, its simple, and fast to get a reasonable (to my eyes anyway) result. I then sealed the finish with a coat of Tamiya Satin, which makes it look a bit harsher than it really is.

 


Before the whitewash I think I should at least put some colours on the the stowage.. hopefully I'll get this done before I go away.

No comments :

Post a Comment