Tuesday 28 August 2012

Model in a Month - 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire VB - Mission Accomplished



Well I made it. It took the 4 weeks but I still had a week to spare before I go.

It was quite refreshing to build a kit and not obsess over every little detail. This model has a few flaws that I'd usually have tried and repaired. I'm not going to tell you where they are though ;-)

I finished the weathering off with a few more pastel chalks, some more filters which I streaked in the direction of the airflow to try and some mud pigments for the tyres. Chipping was done with varoius pencils , using 4H to 4B, along with a silver pencil.
Everything was tied together with a couple of coats of dullcoate.



For the record the details are as follows:

  • Kit - 1/48 Tamiya VB Spitfire
  • Decals - Red Roo The Away Team Part II
  • Seat - Ultracast
  • Exhausts - Ultracast
  • Paints - Mr Color for the base coat. Various Tamiya and Gunze greens and greys for various shading and details (airbrushed). Vallejo for any detail painting done with a brush.
  • Weathering - Windsor and Newtons Paynes Grey for the wash and filters. Various Artists Pastel chalks for shading and streaking. 

Onto the photos, which aren't up to my usual standard I'm afraid. Like the build this was rushed as well.



2 comments :

  1. Hi Calum

    Your Spitfire has come out very nice. The weathering is spot on to some colour photos I have seen of WWII Spits in action. A great job done.

    Mick

    ReplyDelete